Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I have a trane that doesn't seem to be pumping gas to ignite

Customer Question

hi. i have a trane that doesn't seem to be pumping gas to ignite the furnace
JA: Did you check the furnace's filters?
Customer: i change the air filter this started after I had to turn off the gas I turned the gas back on and the downstairs furnace works but the upstairs is not igniting i bought a new igniter today but that didn't see to be the problem it's clearly not getting gas
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: i'd love to do it myself if I could I have lots of bills and need to avoid another
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: when i went to the gas meter i wasn't sure how to turn it off at first so i turned it clockwise several times i was wondering if did something to make it so the gas pressure isn't enough to make it upstairs seems weird but just guessing at things
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: HVAC
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
after I turned the gas back on, everything in the house worked. I went up to the upstairs furnance and turned off the gas valve and turned it back on and closed it all up (thinking that's how to relight the pilot light). In retrospect, I don't think I needed to do anything. After I did that, that's when the trouble started and the gas doesn't seem to fire.
Expert:  airheatman replied 12 days ago.

Try letting it attempt 4 or 5 times in case there was air got trapped in line.If you have already done this our next step is to verify we are getting 24vac to the gas valve when igniter lights.