airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

Red Light: one short, two longs; Could not locate meaning

Customer Question

Red Light: one short, two longs; Could not locate meaning for the code
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: Several days; Actually the furnace was acting up (turning on/off) at the beginning of spring. Didn't use the central A/C this summer, as had window A/C in bedroom.
JA: Did you check the furnace's filters?
Customer: Filter was dirty; replaced it several days ago. We had extended fall weather here, so the need for heat has been limited; so using space heater until solve problem with furnace.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: If possible.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Research suggests replacement of igniter, but have not identified it yet.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 4 months ago.

Allow fan to run 90 seconds and let me know if this error code goes away.Then call for heat at thermostat and see if furnace will work or if it gives us a different code..WE will go from here.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have let furnace run several times; same result;Forgot to mention that I installed a new thermostat yesterday. I may have crossed wires first time, as A/C was running versus furnace. After correcting wires, furnace continues as before--start/stop, without igniting. I have to turn it off and then back on for it to start; but then same results over/over again.

What error do you get when it stops before you reset power?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Bryant Plus 90 gas furnace; stopped working properly last spring--would start/stop after I turned toggle switch on at furnace. Did not use furnace for central air all summer, as used window A/C in bedroom. With cool/cold weather coming, have been researching furnace situation. Replaced filter, as was very dirty. Replaced thermostat yesterday. Learned about LED light message today, short and two longs; but could not located interpretation for lights.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
23 November 2016 10:55
Bryant Plus 90 gas furnace; stopped working properly last spring--would start/stop after I turned toggle switch on at furnace. Did not use furnace for central air all summer, as used window A/C in bedroom. With cool/cold weather coming, have been researching furnace situation. Replaced filter, as was very dirty. Replaced thermostat yesterday. Learned about LED light message today, short and two longs; but could not located interpretation for lights. Research suggests may need to replace igniter, but have not located igniter. Interested in obtaining owner's manual for my furnace, and any additional help available.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Now (after running fan, then requesting heat); LED light flashes 3 short rapid times followed by four longer times.

Not sure where you are getting info from but the 12 error code does not indicate an igniter issue.

The one two will occur anytime power is turned off and back on to furnace.This will flash for 90 seconds and blower will run.After 90 seconds, blower should stop and error change to continuous on.

The 34 you are getting now indicates possibly a dirty flame sensor. See diagnostic chart here:

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Now: Turned furnace off and back on; LED light gave one short and two long message.

Lets start by cleaning your flame sensor and see if that solves the problem. Below is a ink to a generic video explain how to clean the flame sensor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwR9qL4lnk

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
This time, LED light flashed three short times and four longer times.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Bryant 90 Plus - short cycling last spring; managed without furnace until warm weather arrived and stayed. Did not use central air over summer, as used window A/C in bedroom. Now in fall, with temperatures at freezing outside (in Minnesota), furnace short cycles. I removed and cleaned the flame sensor with a dollar bill and with some Scott Brite scouring material. Tried not to be too aggressive with cleaning, so as not to damage part. Reinstalled the sensor. Furnace LED light indicates 12 initially after I turn it on manually. Several rounds of short cycling, me turning on the switch off and on to get the furnace to run produces codes of 12, then 34 multiple times, then 14 for lock-out. I don't believe that my furnace is igniting, and probably has not ignited since late last winter. Any suggestions on what I should try next?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I will look for the hot surface igniter.

TRy cleaning the flame sensor.Do not touch the hot surface igniter as it will break,Flame sensor is in front of farthest burner from igniter,

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Bryant 90 Plus - short cycling; probably started last spring; managed without furnace until warm weather arrived and stayed. Did not use central air over summer, as used window A/C in bedroom. Now in fall, with temperatures at/below freezing outside in Minnesota, furnace is needed. Installed new thermostat. Removed and cleaned the flame sensor using a dollar bill and some Scott Brite scouring material. Will get sand paper tomorrow. Reinstalled the sensor. Furnace LED light indicates 14, 12 and 34 during several rounds of turning switch off and back on. Plan to remove the ignitor part, if can tackle by myself. Furnace does not appear to be igniting. There was water dripping from the top part of unit, after the A/C unit ran for a while, although the condensation pump appears to be getting rid of water from pump. Any suggestions on what I missed, or should try next?

The 12 is normal after power up. The 14 and 34 both still indicate board is not sensing flame.If you had water in furnace it is very possible board itself has got wet and will have to be replaced. My next step would be to get a meter and determine if the board is getting at least 2 micro amps from flame sensor.If so replace board.Below is a video showing how to test this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5u044OJBc4