Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

1400 sq ft home, 4 ton ac/heat unit inside, upped my 2

Customer Question

1400 sq ft home, 4 ton ac/heat unit inside, upped my 2 filters to Home Depot's FFR10 due to allergies, now have an electrical burning smell from the unit. I assume it's due to the blower motor overheating. I need the high efficiency filters for my allergies and was pricing a 5 ton blower motor to deal with the restricted airflow from the filters. Opinion?
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: HVAC
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  airheatman replied 15 days ago.

The pleated filter normally really should not create enough resistance to cause blower motor to over heat enough to cause a burning smell.

What is model on the furnace itself?And do you know if it has an ecm variable speed motor?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Not a variable speed motor. It is a "Stylecrest" unit for manufactured homes.

Gas or electric heat?

If electric do you have the RE or EB series? And how many KW heat ?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Electric, I am not familiar with those terms. The smell occurs when I run the fan only.

I suspect this may be a motor winding issue.Can you swap the fan speed wires to different terminals to see if the smell goes away.(Example, move the heat speed wire over to the fan terminal) and see if you start getting the smell in heat mode and not in fan On mode.

If you can look on furnace and get me a model I can try to pull a manual and show you how to do this.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I am not mechanically inclined, not able to do what you recommend