Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

The pilot light on gas heater in my home does not ignite.

Customer Question

Hello. My name is***** pilot light on gas heater in my home does not ignite. Blower is running continuously.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: Was intermittent for a couple of days yesterday failed permanently.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes. Suspect the failure of electronic board on the unit
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat? And what about the unit's filters?
Customer: Thermostat is showing call for heat. Filter does not look bad. The unit is probably 30 years old.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: How can I check on unit electronic board if the unit receives command for heat from thermostat? Another question is: Why blower is running all the time. It is supposed to start after pilot ignites the main burner and unit warms up?
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 15 days ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

The main blower usually runs as you describe when you hav an open limit circuit/device. This could be the high temp limit or a flame rollout switch (see attached pic for typical) near the burner or sometimes on the exhaust fan. You can reset the rollout by pushing the small button in between the 2 wires. If it clicks you have reset it.