airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

I have a rheem rcba 3765gg17 air handler and looking to hook

Customer Question

I have a rheem rcba 3765gg17 air handler and looking to hook up my new ecobee3 smart thermostat which needs a c wire so I'm trying to find where the extra black wire thats behind the thermostat is in the air handler and then connect to to where it should be for C poer power
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?
Customer: the new thermostat settings? yes they explicitly say it needs a C wire and what filter? the A/C filter? I don't think that has anything to do with a C wire
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 4 months ago.

OK first of all the model is for the evaporator coil. Look for a number like RBEA on air handler. Now once inside you will find a brown wire from transformer.You will notice that it is connected to a wire which goes to outdoor unit.That is your C or 24 volt common where you want to connect the C wire from thermostat

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I see model RBHC-17J06NFD

Thanks.Let me grab a manual

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
K

Locate the transformer. You will see a 24volt hot red coming from transformer going to R at thermostat.Then you will see the 24v common which is brown going to outdoor unit,fan relay and ground. That brown is the 24v common so connect C from thermostat with the browns.

If you have further questions, please let me know.

Thanks for letting me work with you.If my answer has been polite, professional,and thorough, please click one of the ratings before you go. If you still need help let me know!.Expert is not paid for assisting you until you rate answer.Feel free to follow up for 30 days at no additional cost. Bonus always appreciated if you feel justified.

To rate answer, please select one of the stars on the page.