HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH
Experience:  15yrs in the HVAC industry with certificates and degrees.
21107370

I have a rudd hot water heater I think it either has a bad

Customer Question

I have a rudd hot water heater I think it either has a bad selonide valve cause blower and igniter work but no gas
JA: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?
Customer: just started wont light so no hot water
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no
Category: HVAC
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 5 months ago.

Hello, one minute while I get some information together.

Hello and thanks for using this service! If you are a JA Member I would like to personally thank you and welcome you back! I am Appliance Guru an extremely experienced tech on the site and I try to get to as many customers as I can. NOTE it takes time for me to type research and add links so please wait for me to respond back I can only do this so fast. Secondly, I do not know your skill level so please try and let me know if I am going beyond your knowledge or comfort zone thanks! I strive for a 5 star rating from everyone especially our JA members.

Answer:

Yes it sounds like a defective gas solenoid, if you are getting a glow from the ignitor but no gas either the control is bad or the solenoid on the valve is bad and burned out. You can test it for power when it is glowing and see if it gets power from the control. If it does replace the solenoid if not replace the control.

All I ask is please use the Star Rating Link at the top of your page before leaving, that is the only way I am credited through the site, tips are appreciated.