Brian Horton
Brian Horton,
Experience:  Service Technician II at Hobart Corporation
64202524

This question pertains to a walk in cooler that I have at a

Customer Question

This question pertains to a walk in cooler that I have at a restaurant I own. The compressor for the cooler is located outside and has a Ranco duel pressure switch. Recently, the compressor has been turning on and turnin off every 30 seconds. An employee, without my knowledge attempted to adjust it, thinking it would fix the problem. The result is that the temperature in the cooler rose to around 50 degrees, which is too warm. The system uses R134A Fremont for cooling purposes. I've attached a picture of the pressure switch. On top of the pressure switch, there are two adjustment screws. My first question is what is causing the compressor to go on and off so frequently and my second question is what adjustments are needed to bring the walk in cooler to a normal temperature of 40 degrees. Prior to the attempt to fix it, everything was working fine except the excessive on and off
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 13 days ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer my name is ***** ***** I will be the one to assist you. What it sounds like is happening to me is your compressor is low on refrigerant and is going to need to be charged which has to be done by a certified tech onsite.

When these things get low they over heat and come off and on as well as not keeping things as cool because there just isn't enough freon to keep it running like it should.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Everything was cold until the employee adjusted the screws. I was hoping to get advice on the cut out temperature, the cut in tempersture, and the differential. I'm trying to understand what the psi adjustments should be
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 13 days ago.

I will open this up to other experts. I would hate for something to go wrong and mess up the whole system hopefully someone will be along shortly.

Expert:  Brian Horton replied 7 days ago.

You are going to need a Tech to come out and adjust the settings on the pressure switch. If all was good before the screws were adjusted then that is your problem.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** was 6 days ago....I already figured out myself....thanks to YouTube I was able to figure it out