Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I have a Richmond 6G40PVW-40PF that starts with the fan,

Customer Question

I have a Richmond 6G40PVW-40PF that starts with the fan, lights the flame, and heats the water, shuts off the flame, blows the fan to clear the exhaust, shuts down and then clicks twice and turns the fan back on and then the ignighter but doesn't light a new gas cycle but the fan blows and it will cycle through this a few times before giving me the lock out code.
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?
Customer: Its a water heater
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I have been
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 13 days ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

What you're describing would indicate a faulty gas control valve. If the unit is less than 6 years old this is probably a warranty issue.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
How would a faulty gas control value cause a recycle? The computer box is cycling in response to some type of sensor
Expert:  Rick replied 13 days ago.

There's no way I can know how or what causes a failure. We diagnose the problem and repair it. There is a temp sensor that informs the control but your description is far more anomalous than what we would expect from a sensor failure.