Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

Does my therostat have battery, I have a thermostat

Customer Question

Does my therostat have battery
JA: Just to clarify, do you think this is a larger HVAC problem, or something specific to the thermostat?
Customer: I have a thermostat question. It is 3 1/2x3 1/2. It have a push button control and is for air or heat. It is at least 20 years old. The fam is on or automatic. My question is, does this thermostat have batteries. It looks as if it opens at the bottom. Can you help?
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Not unless you have a question.
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 16 days ago.

Hello, there are literally thousands of thermostats that have existed, without the brand and model number I cannot tell you if it has batteries.

IF however you have been operating it for 20 years we know for sure that it is powered from the furnace and has no power batteries in it... it may have a battery used to power the thermostats memory during any power failures.

You should be able to use a knife to gently pry the front of the thermostat from its wall mount plate, if there is a battery you see it there.