HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH
Experience:  15yrs in the HVAC industry with certificates and degrees.
21107370

1987 Ruud furnace. ignitor is constantly arching, pilot

Customer Question

1987 Ruud furnace. ignitor is constantly arching, pilot flame lights but the furnace does no ignite, no gas is allowed to the burners. switched the ignitor, pilot sensor and pilot light from another furnace and it did the same thing and the 3 were installed in the other furnace and they all worked fine. Could it be the controller box?
JA: Did you check the furnace's filters?
Customer: yes, not the issue
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 19 days ago.

Hello, one minute while I get some information together.

Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 19 days ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service! If you are a JA Member I would like to personally thank you and welcome you back! I am HVAC Guru an extremely experienced tech on the site and I try to get to as many customers as I can. NOTE it takes time for me to type research and add links so please wait for me to respond back I can only do this so fast. Secondly, I do not know your skill level so please try and let me know if I am going beyond your knowledge or comfort zone thanks! I strive for a 5 star rating from everyone especially our JA members.

Answer:

The ignition control module is bad, you have replaced the items that could cause it and there is nothing else. Replace the Control box.

All I ask is please use the Star Rating Link at the top of your page before leaving, that is the only way I am credited through the site, tips are appreciated.