airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

What is the wattage usage for the fan motor when in just in

Customer Question

What is the wattage usage for the fan motor when in just in 'Fan' mode for a model G23Q3-100-6? Full speed I calculate 575 watts but I think when just in 'Fan' mode I think it runs at a lower rpm.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: For the past 10 years I have usually kept the unit in this mode year around to improve the comfort in our multi-level home thinking it was saving money. In August I turned the fan motor off since we have had some nice seasonal weather that did not require that need, plus the noise is a lot lower. With that we have had a huge reduction in our energy reduction. So I wanted to figure out if this was the root cause and after 16 years of use is my blower motor becoming inefficient.
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat? And what about the unit's filters?
Customer: Also are there updates for improved performance for this model that I need to perform?
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: What would you like me to check the thermostat for? I use two reusable furnace filters that get cleaned and switched at least once a month. In winter months I usually change more frequently due to pet dander and enclosed family living.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I would like to perform the work myself.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 6 months ago.

I am actually showing the motor to draw 5.1 so I come up with 586.5.

The formula as you know is Volts time watts

Ti give you an idea, if you are paying .11 pe rkwh from power company and ran fan 24hrs per day:

586.5 divided by 1000 = .58

.58 times 24 hours - 13.92KWH

.11 times 13.92 = 1.53 per day

In a 30 day month it would cost 45.90 to run fan non stop.

There are some retrofits on the market. Below is a link to an example.

http://www.rockpapersun.com/blog/?p=439

If you have further questions, please let me know.

Thanks for letting me work with you.If my answer has been polite, professional,and thorough, please click one of the ratings before you go. If you still need help let me know!.Expert is not paid for assisting you until you rate answer.Feel free to follow up for 30 days at no additional cost. Bonus always appreciated if you feel justified.

To rate answer, please select one of the stars on the page.