Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

The furnace generally does not kick on unless the power is

Customer Question

The furnace generally does not kick on unless the power is turned off, then right back on via service switch located on side of furnace. Then it seems to function normally and cycles off. But does not kick back on until powered off an back on again. The AC seems to function as it should. Both using the same thermostat
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 13 days ago.

Hello, sorry about the wait. I have just been notified of your question.

The problem is most likely (95% chance) that the furnace is not going off on the thermostat as one would expect but instead is tripping its high temperature safety cut out switch...and by turning the power OFF then back on you are executing a 'soft reset'

Make sure your air filter is clean, and none of the vents blocked, if that does not solve the problem replace the furnaces high temperature cut out switch.

If you want to do that yourself let me know, I will need a few photo's in order to coach you.

We can go from there.