Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I have a carrier code 87? what dose thus mean and what can

Customer Question

i have a carrier code 87? what dose thus mean and what can be done ?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: since this summer
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes , i asked for help with carrier and got no answer
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: all parts of the condenser was replaced including the compressor
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 14 days ago.

Are you getting code on thermostat or unit?If thermostat give me model on thermostat from inside cover. If furnace,

Can you give me complete model from inside furnace in burner compartment so I can provide guidance with this specific unit.Model will be on a label just above burners on right or left inside panel

http://i.imgur.com/U8b0GXT.jpg

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
25hna636a0030020

OK this is a voltage not sensed issue. Is this anew installation or has thermostat been replaced?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
the thermostat is original , just the the compressor,both contactors , capacitors and board and drier filter has been replaced.

OK this is a pretty complicated unit.My suggestion since most likely under warranty is to get the installer back out to troubleshoot and check his wiring.Either the board is failing or something is wired incorrectly.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
i tried to call him but got no response. and called carrier and they want me to buy a new system and i don't have the money to spend . the replacement parts was very costly.

What is serial number on unit? I would think this is still under warranty?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
3306e33335

Just your luck Seems event he warranty has just expired even if registered (10 yeas)Do you have a volt meter and di you want to try to troubleshoot yourself to see why we are not getting 24v to high stage contactor?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
i do

OK first lets make sure thermostat is calling for second stage. Check between C and Y1 and between C and Y2 to make sure we are getting 24v from thermostat

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
No

OK let me verify you are using the conventional terminals Y1.Y2,R, C,O, etc and not the comminuicating terminals ABcD.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Its an abc connection

Ok if using the communicating tstat, you are not going to be able to troubleshoot yourself as we are not using the standard 24 volt wires but rather data transfer through the computer boards.You will need an authorized Carrier dealer to troubleshoot this.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Awww...great:(

Wish it was simple ,but these darn things can be a bear even for an experienced tech who deals with them everyday.Since everything is controlled by computer boards instead of simple relays in days past , a lot of guessing goes on in troubleshooting. I will not just take a guess and have you do more damage than good. I have spent a bit of time with you but would rather request a refund for you if not happy with my answer than makes guesses as some might

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
a refund would be nice, and thank you for your honesty and patients to walk me through this

Not a problem Will send to administrators