Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
94766

I also have an Empire Stove Co. model 5077P, 45000 BTU floor

Customer Question

Hi Robert, I also have an Empire Stove Co. model 5077P, 45000 BTU floor furnace, but my problem is slightly different than the one I found on your site... My heater pilot light will not stay on... at first it would start and the heater would come on and heat the house for a bit, but then it would go out and if we needed it again, I would have to light it again... now I am lucky if I can get it to stay on when I try to light it. The pilot will come on when I depress the pilot valve in the pilot position, but as soon as I let it go (no matter how long I hold it) it will go out before I can turn the valve to on.
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 16 days ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

The first thing to do is replace the thermopile/thermocouple. That's the flame sensor in the pilot flame. If it has a heavy bare copper wire connected to the gas control valve then it's a thermocouple. But most of these are millivolt and have a thermopile which has a small silver amored cable from the sensor and has 2 leads that connect to the gas control valve.