Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
94766

The fresh water to the boiler was shut off is this okay,

Customer Question

The fresh water to the boiler was shut off is this okay
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: Just bought the house and am currently remodeling it. I just turn the boiler on via thermostat and went down to make sure if was working and noticed the fresh water supply valve was closed
JA: Just to clarify, do you think this is a larger HVAC problem, or something specific to the thermostat?
Customer: my question is does the fresh water supply need to be open or can it be shut off
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: It's just a matter of weather the valve needs to be on or off
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 6 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your

issue. First I’ll need some more info so I have a more complete picture of you situation.

Is this a steam or hot water system? if it's hot water is there anti-freeZe in the system and/or do you have a feed valve (see attached pic for typical) on the water supply line into the boiler?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
there is a feed valve and it's just hot water boiler
Expert:  Rick replied 6 months ago.

Ok, assuming there is no anti-freeze in the system the shut off should be open. However, I'd keep an eye on the pressure gauge. If the pressure rises above 15 when the boiler is cold and not firing then the feeder is defective and needs to be replaced.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The boiler was never shut down all I did was turn the heat up a little I am thinking it has always been off is that possible
Expert:  Rick replied 6 months ago.

It should never be off unless the feeder is defective (and replacing it was put off) or if the system is filled with anti-freeze.

Expert:  Rick replied 6 months ago.

Do you have more questions?