airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

I have a whir power coming out of the vents, it a 1 year old

Customer Question

I have a whir power coming out of the vents , it a 1 year old 2ton goodman unit how do I fix it ?
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat? And what about the unit's filters?
Customer: New filters
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: No I just need to know what's causing it and what should be done so the heat & air guy doesn't screw me
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Just tell me what should be done
Submitted: 21 days ago.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 21 days ago.

Was the equipment only installed a year ago or ductwork also? Second question is are your ducts galvanized sheet metal or ductboard and flex?

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
2 ton Goodman heat & air unit installed one year ago , duct work was all ready there from the old unit that was maybe 12 to 14 years old

And no problem with the dust until installing the new unit?

Also tell me about the ductwork.Is id meta/?

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
No problem with the white powder till the new unit also doesn't happen with AC just heat and the duct looks like galvanized metal
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Last winter the house was rented out and the people were real nasty so they probably didn't notice it , i moved in back in May ran AC all summer with no problem

This dust has been a common question over last several years. I have seen answers from some fine technicians who suggest it is being drawn into system from somewhere, to telling people to clean their ductwork to created by an ozone machine or electronic air cleaner.Unfortunately people have spent hundreds of dollars on replacing or cleaning things all to seemingly no avail.

I have done some research on the issue and what I have come to the conclusion is that it is a firm form of oxidation created by a chemical unbalance.

I am going to continue, but don't want you to think I have deserted you while it takes so long to type.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
The heat & air guy that I had installed the unit looked at it and said it was probably aluminum oxide but didn't know what caused it or how to fix it said to call a cleaning and coating company, but there going to clean and coat your ducts then spend 10 minutes fixing the real problem and charge a fortune

What I have observed is what most peoples system have in common is that they have aluminum air conditioning coils and the vast majority have metal ductwork.I am still researching this subject, but to date my opinion is that is an aluminum oxidation.

It seems that several things have to come together for the condition to exists. High humidity, certain metals such as galvanized metal in proximity to the aluminum coils or certain oils residue on the aluminum form manufacturing process.

I agree with the tech that it is a form of aluminum oxide.

Now the problem we have is determining exactly what is causing it in your particular situation.

Will continue.......

Many things can come into play that is causing the phenomenon.

High humidity, different metals in near proximity to each other, high salt content in air (big issue along coastal areas), whether or not the residue from manufacturing is causing the oxidation.

This process of determining the issue can be costly in determining.For example if you have galvanized ductwork you may spend a couple of thousand dollars to replace it with ductboard .Installing a blacklight or de humidifier can cost hundreds of dollars, adding an electronic air cleaner/purifier can cost hundreds. And each one may or may not bring us to the balance we need to stop the oxidation.

Now this brings us to who is responsible and what you should do.We know something has to be done.

Replacing the coil may solve the problem, but if replaced with a coil from the same plant manufactured using same materials (which by the way our national trade agreements have us importing so much inferior junk it is pathetic), and same oils used in manufacturing process--------you will end up with the same problem.

What we do know is that the only thing different in your home than a year ago is this new Goodman unit.Keep in mind the installer himself is not to blame as this is an abnormal situation which he had no reason to suspect.

Goodman however should at least to some extent be responsible as their products are expected to perform properly in whatever environment they are sold to be used in.

I would probably recommend first of all request the installer to order a replacement coil, , clean coil first to remove any oil from manufacturing ,then coat the col before installing and see if that doesn't solve the problem.

If you have further questions, please let me know.

Thanks for letting me work with you.If my answer has been polite, professional,and thorough, please click one of the ratings before you go. If you still need help let me know!.Expert is not paid for assisting you until you rate answer.Feel free to follow up for 30 days at no additional cost. Bonus always appreciated if you feel justified.

To rate answer, please select one of the stars on the page.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
The installer said the aluminum coil was Nichol plated and there's no way it could cause this , and I don't see any stars on the page

My suggestion then would be to explain to him that this problem only occurred since the Goodman unit was installed, never before for 12 to 14 years.If he personally can not provide an answer, Goodman has field reps in every region of the country and will be happy to come to your home with the installer and perform tests to determine the cause and come up with a solution to remedy this issue.

There should be a little box to rate the experts answer somewhere on your page.