airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

My heater is not heating, filters are a little dirty

Customer Question

hello my heater is not heating
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?
Customer: filters are a little dirty settings are good the blower its good when i turned it on it turns on right away but when i put it on auto it wont turn on
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes i can try
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: the blower its a model E2EB-015HA and my coil is a mortex 96 series
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 2 months ago.

OK so fan works in FAN On but nothing in heat,No elements or blower?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

correct fan works perfectly fine when i turn it on but when place on auto and temperature drops below SET sometimes it works both fan and heat sometimes it doesnt

How about right now.If you turn to heat will it come on?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

no it is not working right now

OK Lets eliminate thermostat first. Go to furnace and lets twist red and white thermostat wires together and see if heat comes on.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

so i had the thermostat off to see if i could find a part number to order a new one and when you said to try tightened the caps i put it back on and heater and blower started working without touching anything and this is my issue sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

and to be honest with you i think its the thermostat cuz it makes a click sound and i just have the feeling that sometimes it doesnt send the msg to turn heater on because when i put it on the ON it will turn on right away and when i put it on auto sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt

Lets forget thermostat right now, Jump it at the furnace.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

ok im at the furnace

Twist red and white together.If heat comes on disconnect. Then repeat 3 or 4 times.If it comes on every time you will know thermostat is the problem

Did it come on?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

twist red and white cables together?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

this two correct?

The red and white that are in tan wire nuts.Loosen wire nuts and connect them together.Heat should come on

These

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

connect all of it together or just the big ones

Doesn't matter, you can leave all together or separate they just go to thermostat

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

ok and that should turn on the heater and blower?

Yes

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

ok they are connected and its not on yet

OK we have eliminate thermostat from being the problem, Leave the wires together and check between the white and gray wires at contactor coil to see if we are getting 24 volts ac.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

im sorry but i dont know where to find the contactor can you send a picture of where it is

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

Remove the screws and take this panel off.Then send me a clear picture and I will show you where to check. Note you can kill power while removing panel so you do not touch anything hot wit the panel.Then remember to turn power back on before testing for voltage

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

Ok you have a sequencer rather than a contactor, Back up and take me a clear pic of the wiring on this sequencer

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

Excellent. Leave the red and white jumped outside of furnace.Turn power back on and see if we get 24v between this blue and white at sequencer coil.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

i only have this to check it out do you think its going to work out lol

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

i only have this you think it is going to work out?

That one will not read 24v we will need one like this.

you can get an inexpensive one at Walmart for about 15 bucks

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Innova-3300-Equus-3300-Hands-free-Digital-Multimeter/14644665

Customer: replied 1 month ago.

ok got it tested them and it doesnt reas anything follow it check the breaker and it doesnt read anything checked the cables after the breaker and nothing

Expert:  airheatman replied 1 month ago.

OK sounds like breaker is bad if no voltage from breaker

Customer: replied 1 month ago.

how do you explain that sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt?

If you have no power it will not work.I am going to open to other experts who may be able to help from here.

I have opted out of the question to see if perhaps other experts may have more information and can assist.Please do not rate or reply as that will send question back to my desk and delay getting assistance..Please stand by to see if another expert can assist further.Leaving a poor service rating will not automatically refund your money. You have to request a refund if not satisfied with the information provided being accurate.

If no expert can help and you are unsatisfied, we can request a refund of your deposit

Customer: replied 1 month ago.

ok so i checked the breaker at the main breaker and it was off im sorry i checked again at the breaker and i have power now its just turning heating on and off but the blower will not respond!

I am about to leave office tonight.I will leave open so other experts can help.Will check on the s tatus tomorrow.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.

i feel like you may know the answer to my problem i checked the white and blue cable that you told me and it doesnt have any power to it

Sorry but I have to leave.If we have 24v out of thermostat we have to have a break somewhere in this circuit if no 24v ta that sequencer.Will check on you tomorrow.