Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I ave, i have a weil mclain model vhe series 2 boiler with a

Customer Question

i ave
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: i have a weil mclain model vhe series 2 boiler with a honeywell s8610u ignition. at the start of the season the furnace worked well, but recently it will start but cuts out after a few seconds. spark is good, good pilot and blue flames. the ignitor flashes 5 times indicating a damper problem, but i don't have a damper
JA: Did you check the furnace's filters?
Customer: i have a boiler
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: hopefully
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: blower works, pump is 19 years old, pilot and rods are clean
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 3 months ago.

Hello, so far it sounds like a failure to sense flame... since you have already cleaned the flame sensor rod, and since you have gotten a bogus error code from the printed circuit card.... the odds the flame sensing circuit inside the printed circuit card are high.

Tell me a lot about your technical skills in these sorts of areas so that I can coach you most effectivel.

and... tell me if you are able to identify the printed circuit card that the flame sensor wire plugs into or not.

We can go from there.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
do i have to remove the ignition module?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
would it be cheaper to replace the ignition module?
Expert:  Phil replied 3 months ago.

Possibly... its a matter of your preference regarding the risk of replacing the ignition module when the fault might lay elsewhere. There is about a 60% chance that replacing the ignition module will solve the problem

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
this is the 3rd time i would be replacing the module in the last 5 years, aren't they more reliable?
Expert:  Phil replied 3 months ago.

You could have a 'reverse polarity' problem at the power supply to the boiler... look this video over for how to detect and solve the problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfAPkJVYUpY

most people need to see the video twice to comprehend that range of issues.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
but it worked well in the past and no electrical work was done on it.
Expert:  Phil replied 3 months ago.

Reverse polarity damage is *cumulative in most cases, not causing sudden failure. see the video you will understand

Expert:  Phil replied 3 months ago.

Reverse polarity is an easy fix.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Is the Honeywell S8610U interchangeble with the S8610U3009?
Expert:  Phil replied 3 months ago.

That question if best answered by the parts wholesaler who has a 6 foot long catalog on all that, as it updates monthly in most cases.

without that catalog answering that question would take 4 or 5 hours research and possible modifications to the rest of the system.