Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I am hooking a seven color wire thermostat a Honeywell

Customer Question

I am hooking a seven color wire thermostat a Honeywell RTHL2310/RTHL221
JA: Just to clarify, do you think this is a larger HVAC problem, or something specific to the thermostat?
Customer: do not know
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I took seven color wires off the old one
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 5 months ago.

THis is not a compatible thermostat for a heat pump with backup heat.Tell me model on equipment(Indoor and outdoor and I will verify but it sounds like you probably have a heat pump)

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It is an in door it is a Train air condition

Model on Trane unit.Or tell me what each wire was connected to (EX red to R, Green to G, etc)

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I thought you were going to tell how to hook up I just want to know what color goes .
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
where

1. AS mentioned earlier this thermostat is most likely not compatible with your 7 wire system.The first thing we have to do is determine if we can use it.The model on units will tell me that.

2.Without knowing what wires you have to what terminal on old, the only way to know what color goes where will be to see where they connect on other end if you took them loose without labeling them

3.There is no industry standard to let us know what color goes where just based on color. For example one tech may use blue for C Common and next tech may use brown for C Common.

I am not trying to be rude with you, just help you get the thermostat installed if it will work.But if t is not compatible, I will not waste your time trying to figure out wiring.The fact that you had seven wires indicates to me that you probably have a multi stage system heat pump, which the thermostat will not work with. Note if your old thermostat had an EMERGENCY heat selector.Note the new one does not.If we can use it we will .If not I can recommend one that will and help you figure out the wiring.I am about to leave office tonight but will be back in the morning.