Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
94766

My weil mc lean gas boiler with a argo arm system wont stay

Customer Question

my weil mc lean gas boiler with a argo arm system wont stay on
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: one day
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: It was running ok. I turn it off for two warm days. when turn it back on I noticed that it not staying on . I change the thermos cupler wich was bad.
Submitted: 23 days ago.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 23 days ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. First I’ll need some more info so I have a more complete picture of you situation.

Do any of the zones work? do the LED's on the Argo light up when you turn up the thermostat(s)? What is the model number of the boiler?

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Rick replied 23 days ago.

There is an additional charge for a call. I'll post an additional service offer. Simply accept it of you want to talk or we can continue here.

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
We can continue
Expert:  Rick replied 23 days ago.

So I need answer to the questions I asked earlier:

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
I will send it in 5 minutes
Expert:  Rick replied 23 days ago.

Ok, I'll respond as soon as I can

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
It is Modle CG
Expert:  Rick replied 23 days ago.

Not CGi or CGa? what about my other questions?

Expert:  Rick replied 23 days ago.

Also assuming you do have CG which is an old(er) model; does it have electronic ignition or a pilot that's lit all the time?

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
All 4 zones lit up when start Its a pilot lit
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Its a pilot lite
Expert:  Rick replied 23 days ago.

OK, does it have a motorized vent damper? if so is it open?

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
It have a electric damper. The switch is in the open position
Expert:  Rick replied 23 days ago.

Ok, so switch on damper is on HOLD OPEN. Do you have a multi-meter?

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Expert:  Rick replied 23 days ago.

Ok if the boiler temp is below 150 do you have 24 vac at the gas valve?

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Expert:  Rick replied 23 days ago.

Are the burners firing?

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
I turned in on and it is running
Expert:  Rick replied 23 days ago.

Well we can't troubleshoot a problem if the system is functioning properly. It has to be down to troubleshoot. If this is an intermittent problem where the Argo lights up but the burner doesn't fire up then it could ba a bad connection between the Argo and the boiler or anywhere in the boiler contrl circuit. The most common culprit there is the end switch in the damper (even if it is held open)

Expert:  Rick replied 23 days ago.

Next time if you have 24 volts to the gas valve, a lit pilot, temp below 150 and no burner flame then you have a bad gas valve. Otherwise it's an electrical problem as I just described.

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
I turned off one zone and start the boiler. It was runing. I turn on that zone and the boiler stop.Do you think it is the pump fot that zone is bad??
Expert:  Rick replied 23 days ago.

The pumps have nothing to do with the burner firing or not except that they cool the boiler water down by circulating the water. Keep in mind that the burners only fire when there is a call for heat and the boiler temp is below the limit setting. Once the boiler temp is up to limit temp the burners shut down (open limit switch) until the boiler temp drops low enough to close the limit again. Only the pumps run all the time there is a call for heat.

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
I turned the zone back on and the boiler stop.
Expert:  Rick replied 23 days ago.

Did you read my last post?

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
I am checking the zone relay
Expert:  Rick replied 23 days ago.

If there is more than one zone calling it would be extremely odd (never heard of it happening) that calling in 1 additional zone would open the XX terminals which would shut down the boiler. I don't see how it could happen.