airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

I have a gas fireplace that won't ignite this year

Give me a few more details like model and exactly what happens.

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
Heat & Glo Model SL-750TR-C. Had it turned off all summer including valve at fireplace. Went to ignite and pilot lit initially but didn't stay on when I turned from pilot to on. Now it's sparking at pilot but not igniting at all.
Customer: replied 26 days ago.
Unit is 13 years old

Have you tried bleeding gas line by cracking gas line slightly until you smell gas. And made sure if there is a cock in line that it is in ON (ININE) position?

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
i don't smell gas. I held the pilot knob position down but no change. I see a l shaped cock in the line if that's what you're referring to.

Make sure the cock handle is in line with pipe, not cross way. Using match,see if you can light the pilot.

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
Not sure I understand in line vs. cross way. Attached photo

That is in correct position,see if it will light with a match.

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
It will not

OK are you sure you have gas coming to the valve?Do you have other gas appliances that are working?

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
I do. The initial time I tried to light it I could smell gas briefly and it lit just wouldn't stay lit. Now nothing.
Customer: replied 26 days ago.
I'm not sure where that line comes in from but I don't think there's any other valve somewhere

OK if we have gas to valve but noting out of pilot we either have a stopped up pilot orifice or a defective gas valve

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
what next?

Next step will be to get a manometer and verify sufficient gas pressure into the valve.If you do not have a manometer and don't want to call in a tech I would start by replacing valve

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
what is a typical cost for something like this with a tech?

Service call and labor about a hundred bucks and same for valve so about 200

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
Ok. Do I need to call a certain type of tech?

I would look under Heating contractors and call around to find one who works on these units

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
How difficult is it to replace valve? Is it just a matter of turning off gas and unscrewing and replacing like it looks?
Customer: replied 25 days ago.
Also, would I need to replace this hose from valve to fireplace?

It is a simple procedure.AS you stated just unscrews. I would blow the tubing to pilot out to clean but should not have to be replaced.

You can look on valve to get number to Google online if you want to replace yourself.

I am showing the 060-522 if you have naturals gas,Actually looks to be a pretty expensive valve at just over 200.

http://www.stove-parts-unlimited.com/HHT-Gas-Fireplace-Valve-NG-p/060-522.htm?gclid=CJmh3IL3qtACFdgXgQodZokN8A