Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

We have a 13 year old thermostat for our gas logs. The pilot

Customer Question

We have a 13 year old thermostat for our gas logs. The pilot is on but when setting the temp the thermostat is set at 90 it will not come on. We changed the batteries in the thermostat. What next???
JA: Just to clarify, do you think this is a larger HVAC problem, or something specific to the thermostat?
Customer: We think this is the thermostat.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Not really. Do you know someone that would check this out in our area. Birmingham, AL or Pelham, AL
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I am checking with my husband
Submitted: 25 days ago.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 25 days ago.

Lets first determine thermostat is the issue. Disconnect wires at thermostat and touch the wires together to see if logs come on.If so we will concentrate on thermostat.If not the issue is with the log set control.

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
Sorry - we are seniors and this is hard for us. We put red and white wires together and no sparks and no fire.

OK if no spark or no fire, replacing thermostat would not make a difference.You have bigger problems. The issue is with the actual log set. This will require some troubleshooting with a meter.You may want to try to find a local contractor to do this.If it is something you wish to troubleshoot and you have a meter, give me model on log set and I will be happy to guide you.

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
We are waiting for on line.

Payment for this service failed, please do not fulfill yet. We will attempt to reach this customer to fix the situation.