Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
94766

I was just talking to you on another thread but do not see

Customer Question

I was just talking to you on another thread but do not see your answer. I have the jotul stove that will light but then goes off after about 20 min.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: Since I turned the stove on for this season.. I did open the stove up and cleaned it out.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: not that I know of
Submitted: 26 days ago.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 26 days ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. First I’ll need some more info so I have a more complete picture of you situation.

What's the model number of your unit?

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
where do I find the model number
Customer: replied 26 days ago.
no I would rather have it written
Expert:  Rick replied 26 days ago.

The call prompt is automatic I have nothing to do with it. We can continue here. The model is on the rating plate which is usually on the back or bottom. But If you can tell me if this is a milli-volt system (small armored cable coming from the pilot that has 2 leads connected to the gas valve) I have a likely culprit

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
I dont know
Expert:  Rick replied 26 days ago.

Ok, almost all Jotul's are millivolt so this is what I suspect: the flame sensor (thermopile) in the pilot flame is what generates all the power to operae the gas control valve. It does this by keeping a temp differential between the hot tip (in the pilot flame) and the base of the sensor. This is called the cold junction. I suspect there is a stray flame from the main burner that is hitting or it too close to the base of the thermopile and it's heating up that cold junction which kills the power to the gas valve which shuts off the burner.

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
Ok, that makes sense, how do I fix it?
Expert:  Rick replied 26 days ago.

You have to identify where that flame may be coming from and do what's needed to redirect it. You might have moved something (a log) that causing that flame to be where it shouldn't.

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
I turned it off now it wont turn back on, pilot still lit
Expert:  Rick replied 26 days ago.

You could have a weak thermopile. If the unit is more than a few years old then a new thermopile is the first thing I'd replace.

Expert:  Rick replied 26 days ago.

Do you have more questions?