Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I have an Aprilaire zone system for two upstairs bedrooms.

Customer Question

Hello. I have an Aprilaire zone system for two upstairs bedrooms. The fan runs continually into one room even when there is no demand for cooling or heating in fact I can turn that thermostat off or even disconnect it and the fan still circulates to that room. Is the controller bad?
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?
Customer: I have and just noted hat even with the thermostat disconnects the fan runs. Filters were changed this summer.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Need to know what work is entailed first.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: That's all I have for you.
Submitted: 24 days ago.
Category: HVAC
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
It appears there is no response so I perimeter my $5 deposit will be refunded. Thanks.
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Sorry. I presume
Expert:  Regan Land replied 23 days ago.

I apologize for the delay. Do you still need assistance? If so, I'll be happy to help. If not, I can request a refund for you.

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
If you have a response why not share it? Otherwise I'd like a refund. Thanks.
Expert:  Regan Land replied 22 days ago.

Okay, great! It is possible that the controller is bad, but that's an expensive part so I'd like to rule other possibilities (thermostat, shorted wire, setting on zone panel, etc) out before we jump to that conclusion. When you say you disconnect the thermostat, how is it that you're doing that? Are you taking the face off, or actually disconnecting the wires? Also, can you please provide the model # of the zone panel. You can also attach photos to this chat if you would like to.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Hi. Thought it may have corrected itself after I shut the power off to the fan for a day but after a couple of days the fan is back on in the one zone. Thermostat face is removed from that room but it is still calling for air for some reason. The panel is Aprilaire model 6303.