Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

Can a rheem gas instant hot water be supplied with hot water

Customer Question

Can a rheem gas instant hot water be supplied with hot water at its cold inlet? I can get free solar energy to feed my existing electric tank system so it seems logical that it is possible to have a system that is failsafe without a changeover valve...
JA: Have you talked to a solar panel professional about this?
Customer: There is no need to talk to a solar panel pro....It has nothing to do with the supply to my existing electric tank solar system ...I am simply asking what would happen if an instant Rheem hot water system is fed wih hot water..
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: No I have a licensed plumber...
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Yes read the last question and answer it...
Submitted: 22 days ago.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 22 days ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

It depends on the model. Some models have a max inlet temp. You aren't clear on the confing but generally you can't run untempered water from a solar tank through a tankless be cause there are times when the water would exceed the alllowable safe limits. If you want to give me a specific model Rheem tankless and more info on your solar system I can be more specific