airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

Buying an older home that has an oil furnace in the basement

Customer Question

Buying an older home that has an oil furnace in the basement duct work is in the floor with vents in the baseboards it has an AC with the air handler in the attic and AC vents in the ceiling my question is when heat is running isn't it pulling air through the vents in the attic and when AC is running pulling air through vents in the floor causing it not to be effiecent thanks
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 6 months ago.

When heat is running all heat should by nature rise, so the heat from basement system will heat from floor up/ Unit in attic will blow heat down towards floor and by nature rise to heat second floor.

In cool mode, cool air will fall in both cases so the downstairs blows the air upwards and falls back to floor while second floor blows air down to cool upstairs.

Heat should not normally be on of course on one system and not the other.

The normal design for a two story home is lower floor blow air up towards ceiling and second floor blown down towards floor.

I

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
With what you've told me above, the oil furnace, which is approximately 25 years old and probably very inefficient, and the trane ac unit, which is a 16 seer, less than 10 years old. So, what i'm asking is should I change the oil furnace to a new high efficiency oil furnace or should I throw the trane away and get a heat pump? I'm in North Carolina.

My suggestion would be to get rid of the oil furnace and install a new high efficiency heat pump.Ducts should be fine though