Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

Installed a train TZEMT523AA21MA nexia thermostat and

Customer Question

installed a train TZEMT523AA21MA nexia thermostat and nothing happened. Screen didn't light up. Replacing an Emerson model which only uses 4 wires
JA: Just to clarify, do you think this is a larger HVAC problem, or something specific to the thermostat?
Customer: Theremostat. System works fine with emerson thermo. I can't replace it with the Trane
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes I did. Four color coded wires that match what they did on the emerson - followed instructions sing fault tree and pin location Red-Yellow-Green-White. Truly straight forward, but once wires connected, face plate put on and power turned on - trane unit will not power up
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: That it.... simple installation and good instructions. Unit wont power up when power comes back on.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 4 months ago.

A COMMON wire is necessary to power the Nexia. You do not have a common with only 4 wires. Is there an unused wire coming out of the wall in the bundle that we can use to common?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Probably. Just havre to locate the other end of run and connect free blue wire to grd

Not to ground but to 24 volt common from transformer.

Usually there will be a C on furnace board just like thermostat.If you can give me model on furnace I will tell you where to connect it. re you there so you can verify the presence of the 5th wire now?