Regan Land
Regan Land, HVAC Technician
Experience:  18 years of experience, NATE Certified, Licensed HVAC Contractor, Certified IAQ Specialist
31091390

Second opinion] - I have an OLD forced air furnace. 394U -

Customer Question

Second opinion] - Hello - I have an OLD Bryant forced air furnace. 394U - it's supposed to have an automatic pilot but a couple months ago the gas had to be shut off and not I need to restart the furnace. I read the instructions but they say to light the pilot - can you help?
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?
Customer: New filter and thermostat started fan but no heat - I seem to remember the guy shut off the manual gas valve - so now when I checked - it has three settings - OFF/PILOT/ON It was off
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes - I just want to restart the pilot but I don't want to blow myself up in the process
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Not that I can think of
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Regan Land replied 4 months ago.

So sorry about earlier - I lost connection. I saw you were asking about where the pilot is, but the last pic isn't showing. Can you please send the last pic again?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Let me run back to my computer...

I see that airheatman is answering the other request. I'll let him continue to assist you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Is this Regan?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok - thanks

That is correct.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Can you see the other questions? I still can't get the pilot on - the valve makes no sound like gas is flowing - is there somewhere else I should look?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
This is the picture I sent the other technician...
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
airheatman is no longer online

If you follow the gas line that comes into the unit you should see a gas cock, which is a 1/4 turn valve. The handle should be parallel to the gas line.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I think it's turned perpendicular...Do you have a minute for me to take a picture again?

Yes, I can wait. You can also go ahead and turn it where it's parallel.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Is this it? Turn right or left?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'm pretty handy but gas is trickier than electricity - I just want to make sure I have all the information before I get myself blown up...

Wow, that's an old one. Yes, it's off. Go ahead and turn it parallel. You may need to use some pliers or channel locks. After you turn that on, try to turn the knob on the gas valve to the "PILOT" position and press the knob down. Light the pilot, then continue to hold the knob down for 30 seconds. Release the know and turn to "ON" and see if the heat works.

I need to leave the office, but it will only take me a few minutes to get home. Let me know how everything goes. I'll hop back on on when I get to the house to check on you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
OK - thanks - it is old but I can't afford a new one - thanks for your help - I may be back if I have more questions... :)

Sounds good. Let me know how it goes even if it does light. I like to have closure :)

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I can understand that - I'll just leave this conversation open until I'm sure one way or the other...
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I FEEL HEAT!! You were right. Thank you for checking back - I appreciate it. It's supposed to get down below freezing tonight so I figured I better finally turn on some heat - then I realized I didn't have a furnace. My thermostat said it was only 56 in here - time to finally get the furnace going. Thanks to you and airheatman - I'm back in business. Thank you! I'll go fill out your high rating! :)

Okay, great! I see that you accepted and rated the other question, which gave airheatman the money and positive rating. The only way I would get either is if you accept and rate this question, which would cost you more money lol. It's okay, though - I'm just happy you have heat!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Oh crap - I didn't know about that - while this site is useful - my first time here - it's quite the nickel & dime you to death site too... If I had more money I would have had someone else do the work in the first place. Thank you again - blame it on the lost connection because clearly, if we could have continued from the start, you would have solved my problem first. :) Thanks again! Have a nice evening...