airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

What is the configuration of the wires on the COR AC/HP

Customer Question

What is the configuration of the wires on the COR AC/HP Wi-Fi thermostat that is replacing an Infinity System thermostat without a C wire? The infinity is labeled A (green), B (yellow), C (whie), and D (red).
JA: Just to clarify, do you think this is a larger HVAC problem, or something specific to the thermostat?
Customer: I had a renter who broke the infinity thermostat. Only problem is that; the system was serviced this past summer is is fine.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I took a picture of the wiring before removing the infinity; the COR is already mounted, just need to know the order for the wiring. It was easy to install so far. (and the HVAC is powered off at the circuit breaker).
Submitted: 23 days ago.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 23 days ago.

Lets start by deciding if you really want to go to the COR.

Your Infinity system is a high tech and high efficient system that uses what is called a communicating system.The AB terminals provide volte where the CD terminals are data transfer wires. In other words the thermostat, air handler and outdoor are "talking" or communicating with each other 24/7 to determine the most efficient way to operate.

The COR is a conventional (non communicating) thermostat.

So you will be sacrificing some features and efficiency with the COR.Let me know and we will proceed accordingly

Also you will need 6 to 7 wires rather than the 4 wires, So let me know if you have unused wires we can use in the bundle at thermostat and units.

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
I have to change the thermostat out. I had a tenant who moved out in August and left a busted thermostat behind. The "hot/cold" buttons were broken off. Buying another infinity system is out of the question at its cost. There are only 4 wires in the bundle.

Tell me model on units (indoor and outdoor)

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
I only have the outdoor carrier unit -- The model is 50CR-042---301

OK we would still need 6 wires between thermostat and unit

1. Red 24v power

2.Green -Fan

3.Orange- Reversing valve

4.Blue-----24v Common

5. White ----Heat elements

6. Yellow - AC compressor

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Does that mean the COR isn't compatible with my unit?
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Can you tell me the order the wires go in?
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
I paid $28 for this and still don't have an answer to my original question.

Sorry,had to run to bank.

The thermostat is compatible but you will need more than 4 wires. There is no conventional thermostat that will work with the heat pump using 4 wires.

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
I guess that puts an end to a self-installation. Thanks for your help.

If you can run additional wires between units and thermostat, it is a very simple procedure to hook up thermostat.Just et me know.

If you have further questions, please let me know.

Thanks for letting me work with you.If my answer has been polite, professional,and thorough, please click one of the ratings before you go. If you still need help let me know!.Expert is not paid for assisting you until you rate answer.Feel free to follow up for 30 days at no additional cost. Bonus always appreciated if you feel justified.

To rate answer, please select one of the stars on the page.

Leaving a poor service rating will not automatically refund your money,but reflects poorly on your expert. You have to request a refund if not satisfied with the information provided being accurate.