Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

Can you tell me the efficiency in kW/Ton of a McQuay chiller

Customer Question

can you tell me the efficiency in kW/Ton of a McQuay chiller model PEH100-BCBB?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: Not sure what you mean...I've used a 'standard' .62 kW/Ton initially but would would like to know actual
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: no, we'll use a contractor
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Chiller load ranges from 50% to 80%
Submitted: 28 days ago.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 25 days ago.

Hello, I see that you have been waiting. Here is my comment, it is not an answer. McQuay is not providing that information on line, a few hours of phone calls to McQuay has about a 50% chance of getting you an answer.

However... that answer would only be in the range of plus of minus 30% correct... in other words almost useless, since there are countless other factors that will be unique to your particular installation, such as the details of the cooling towers or evaporative condensers cooling the McQuay units condensers. and the chilled water temperature you are operating at relative to the areas relative humidity. Any one of these will produce that 30% plus or minus deviation from the factory specs.

Let me know if you would like to discuss this range of issues with you...relative to your requirements and situation. We can go from there if you wish.

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Hello Phil
Apparently I did not phrase my question clearly enough. You are right that the efficiency of a McQuay chiller may be plus or minus 30% and there are a number of factors contributing to this. In my job I represent a manufacturer who eliminates the factors which occur continuously to contribute to this 30%. When I do my efficiency surveys of cooling plants, the chillers are not running at, or close to, design kW, unless my survey occurs in the first week or two after the chillers have been opened up and cleaned, and also if a few other factors (e.g. incorrect flow, air in the system, non-condensibles in the refigerant) are absent.What I meant to ask was, 'what is the design kW of the chiller?'. With our system we are able to drive chillers from their inefficiency state close to, or at, their design kW and sustain this throughout the cooling system. In order to project savings in water and energy, I need the design kW. This I find is hard to obtain online. I think that perhaps the manufacturers want to limit the availability of service and operating information to their authorized dealers, and so do not make this easily available. In the past I have obtained the information I needed from 'friendly' mechanical contractors, but I never learned the source of where and how someone can routinely access this data. If Just Answer can figure this out that would be great.
Expert:  Phil replied 23 days ago.

Thanks, McQuay was taken over by Daikin Kogyo (Japan) with patience you might be able to coax the information you need from them https://www.daikin.com/products/