airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

I have an older carrier heat pump system and in the heat

Customer Question

Hi Pearl, I have an older carrier heat pump system and in the heat cycle the condensing unit starts and then shuts off after 3-4 minutes of operation. The indoor fan continues to run as the thermostat is still calling for heat.
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?
Customer: All is well indoors. Condensing unit will start again after 5 or more minutes and repeat the 3-4 minute run then shut off. Outdoor fan and compressor shuts off.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes. I have a background in HVAC service but it has been a few years since I did major service work.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Nothing that I can think of.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 month ago.

Does everything work fne in cool mode?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I haven't tried cool mode yet. At work and will be going home soon. Can you give possibilities if cool cycle does work OK and if it does not work in cool?

Unit is most likely shutting down on high or low pressure switch.

If it shuts down in both we are either low on refrigerant or there is a restriction in a filter drier or something. If it works fine in cool but shuts down in heat, you have a sticking metering device such as a txv. With a heat pimp you have a metering device at indoor coil and another in outdoor unit. If it works in cool but shuts down in heat you will need to replace metering device in outdoor unit.