Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

Our thermostat clicks over and over and furnace does not

Customer Question

Our thermostat clicks over and over and furnace does not start. System seems to have locked out as there are no lights on control panel. The control transformer is very hot to the touch. Heat has been off and not working since yesterday. Could we have a bad control transformer or bad thermostat which would cause the whole system to shut down?
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?
Customer: yes the thermostat settings are ok. It has happened in the past where the thermostat would click away and we'd shut the system off and back on then the furnace would kick back on.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I'm not sure. My girlfriend has called the master plumbers she has used in the past to see if they could make an emergency visit.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: She stated to me that in the past when she had problems with it, there would always at least be a light still on the panel but nothing this time around which tells me something is causing it to go into lockout.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Since you have no lights on the control board and the transformer is very hot a bad transformer is a likely culprit. You need a multi-meter to check the voltage out of the transformer to confirm that it's bad.