Gaztech
Gaztech, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Owner at Gaztech
92290868

Having a furnace problem where hot air is not blowing out.

Customer Question

Having a furnace problem where hot air is not blowing out. If I open the door (which shuts off unit) then take out the 3 amp fuse, replace it, and turn furnace back on it starts to work. This has happened twice but not sure what problem would be causing this. I don't want to have to keep doing this.
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?
Customer: Yes thermostat is fine and filter recently replaced.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Possibly. It depends on the issue. If it needs a new fuse that's easy to replace but I'm not sure if that's the issue.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: It's a goodman GMPN100-4 furnace
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Gaztech replied 5 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is Luke

NOTE: I can only get paid for assisting you if you RATE ANSWER the 5 star rating

Are you ready?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Expert:  Gaztech replied 5 months ago.

Processing Answer Pls stand by

Expert:  Gaztech replied 5 months ago.

Your Problem is intermittent and is probably a result of a bad connection of the control wires at either the thermostat or at the furnace control board, check all wiring one by one making sure they are tight and none of the individual connection cant touch each other.

I have found t-stat wires touching one another because of the plastic insulation was exposed when it was spliced back a few inches back.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok. My fiancée was an electrician in the navy so I can have him check that. I might be able to try but I'm not good at that stuff. He is not available to check it until tomorrow :(
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I am going to try.
Expert:  Gaztech replied 5 months ago.

Another possibility is secondary 24v transformer not giving the right voltage. He will need his volt meter to check that.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Not sure if he knows how to check that or where transformer is located.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Might need to call professionals. I don't know.
Expert:  Gaztech replied 5 months ago.

If he is electrician, he should have enough knowledge to follow wiring diagram in the manual to do this type of work, here is link for manual.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/638623/Goodman-Gmpn100.html?page=25#manual

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thermostat wiring looked ok. I pulled out the 3 AMP fuse and reinserted it, and the furnace restarted again. I'll have to have my fiancée check the electrical stuff.
Expert:  Gaztech replied 5 months ago.

Are replacing fuse because it is burnt or you are using the same one?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It's the same exact fuse. The fuse is not burnt out.
Expert:  Gaztech replied 5 months ago.

If fuse is not burnt means all you are doing is creating a reset to the furnace, When furnace trips out, before you do anything, dont take door off and look through the sight glass in your door and count the amount of light flashes between pauses, this will give you the error code. note that and refer to the list of error codes. this will tell us what is going on. I will attach the list of error codes

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok thanks. This is happening at my rental property and I already left the house. We can get that during our next visit to the house.
Expert:  Gaztech replied 5 months ago.

Furnace needs to be in lookout to get a error code, all you probably need is a qualified service maintenance on your unit. error codes are listed on the furnace door panel

Please click the 5 star rating , this will credit me for assisting you.

And even if you have more question we can continue afterwards.

Best regards

Luke

Expert:  Gaztech replied 5 months ago.
Furnace needs to be in lookout to get a error code, all you probably need is a qualified service maintenance on your unit. error codes are listed on the furnace door panelPlease click the 5 star rating , this will credit me for assisting you.And even if you have more question we can continue afterwards.Best regardsLuke
Expert:  Gaztech replied 5 months ago.

NOTE: I can only get credited for assisting you if you click the 5 star rating