Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
94766

I just purchased a home in Springfield Illinois and need to

Customer Question

I just purchased a home in Springfield Illinois and need to replace the heat and air. the home is a 1 story ranch that was built in 1960. It is 1800 Sq. Ft. with a half basement and half crawl space, the home is all electric. My current heat/air cost averages $415.00 a month which I feel is quite high. My question is, should I look at a new furnace and AC unit or would a heat pump be better? The thermostat is new and the duct work is in good condition.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 6 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Given the cold Winters where you are you're probably better off with a new high efficiency furnace and an AC coil/condensing unit. Conventional air to air heat pumps don't function in very cold weather. You'd be using back up heat when it gets real cold which is often electric and much more expensive to operate. You could use a gas furnace for back up but you need to compare the cost of a heat pump and furnace to AC & furnace.

Expert:  Rick replied 6 months ago.

$10k for a heat pump sounds pretty steep anyway. Get several bids whichever way to go

Expert:  Rick replied 6 months ago.

Do you have more questions?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I am all electric, gas is not available. Is an electric furnace better and more economical tp use than a heat pump?
Expert:  Rick replied 6 months ago.

A heat pump is much more economical to use than an electric furnace.