BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
Experience:  Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics
12672042

I need to replace a 14 year old Trane ac unit. When bought

Customer Question

I need to replace a 14 year old Trane ac unit. When bought it was the top of the line. I am trying to decide whether to replace just the ac unit and keep the trane furnace or to replace both as and furnace. if I just replace the ac unit I will go with an 18 ser XLi 2 stage system , if I do both I might bump to Trane varible speed techology. Should I spend and keep the 14 year old furnace, or spend 9200 and get the variable speed ac and furnace?
JA: Did you check the furnace's filters?
Customer: Will put new filters on with whatever decision.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no
Category: HVAC
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 3 months ago.

This is coming from a service tech point of view...

The manufacturers state a expected lifespan of a furnace to be 15 years.

If the furnace is currently 14 years old...and finances permit...I would strongly suggest the entire system.

If you install a 18 seer ac unit with a 14 year olf furnace you will lose 3-4 seer. The seer is indicative of the match set...if you vary from one or the other..the seer drops.

My own opinion is to replace the set and keep them as a set and not mismatch the seers.

Billy