Sean, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Owner HVAC company
64612473

I have a heat pump model # 288AHU060=A. Is it ok to set this

Customer Question

I have a Bryant heat pump model # 288AHU060=A. Is it ok to set this for off-peak operation?
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?
Customer: I did not check the settings, where are they and also where are the filters, are you talking about the filters on the furnace?
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: It is on a 50 amp breaker.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Sean replied 1 month ago.
Can you explain a little more about off peak ? Not sure I understand what your asking exactly.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Off peak puts your unit on a radio controlled meter. They sell you the electricity cheaper with the right to shut you down for a while. I have propane backup. A lineman from the power co said that by the time they would shut me down I would already be switched to propane by my system. (The heat pump is less efficient during very cold weather.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It was just ok'd by my credit card co.
Expert:  Sean replied 1 month ago.
I'm not sure what's happening. I tried calling.Alright I was driving to my next , my full time job.is in field so usually till 7-8pm Im not 100% active on this site.With that being said, I assumed you meant that with off peak but wanted to make sure.What is your secondary source for heat, electric,gas ???Do you have a thermostat that automatically changes from using the heat pump to electric or whatever your 2nd heat is?
Expert:  Sean replied 1 month ago.
Meant to say I was driving to my next call.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
As I said before I have propane as a backup for when the heat pump is not efficient. My question is: Is this unit compatible with an off-peak setup. I don't want to set this up and then ruin the heat pump. Maybe I should talk to a Bryant dealer.
Expert:  Sean replied 1 month ago.
Ok, in the original question it said nothing about back up that's why I asked, may have gotten lost in original transfer to me I have no clue.So if your electric gets shut off with off peak. Then neither would be recommended as then your actual propane furnace will not work!I have a house that's heat pump and electric heat were on a demand style.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It's on a separate meter. Just the heat pump. Disregard. you don't know anything about my question.
Expert:  Sean replied 1 month ago.
I'm sorry you feel that way but unfortunately without more description which seems you really don't want to I'm not sure if I have or haven't seen your set up. I have been doing this a long time have seen almost everything. However please understand we have never seen your set up we most likely live in another state and you are our eyes and ears for everything.Thanks have a great day and thanks for choosing just answers I will open it up for other experts to help you !