Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

The inside blower on my ac runs for about a minute and then

Customer Question

the inside blower on my ac runs for about a minute and then turns off for about 10 seconds when the thermostat is set about the house temperature and even when the thermostat is set to off, the outside unit remains off. when the thermostat is lowered below the house temperature the ac outside turns on and the blower fan runs continuously (normally) until the set temperature is reached and then the inside blower cycling begins again.
JA: Just to clarify, do you think this is a larger HVAC problem, or something specific to the thermostat?
Customer: i think the thermostat is ok. the blower cycling happens even if i remove the thermostat batteries
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: if possible
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: not that i can think of
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 month ago.

Hello, one minute while I get some information together.

Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 month ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service! If you are a JA Member I would like to personally thank you and welcome you back! I am HVAC Guru an extremely experienced tech on the site and I try to get to as many customers as I can. NOTE it takes time for me to type research and add links so please wait for me to respond back I can only do this so fast. Secondly, I do not know your skill level so please try and let me know if I am going beyond your knowledge or comfort zone thanks! I strive for a 5 star rating from everyone especially our JA members.

Does the unit heat?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Seems to work normally.
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 month ago.

Can you check and see if there are any error codes on the board on the inside unit?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
There don't appear to be any lights or display on the control board. Also, last night before I went to bed I popped both breakers (a.c. and heater). This morning when I got up I reset the breakers and the blower stayed off until this afternoon when it got warm enough in the house for the a.c. to turn on. Now the blower us back to the on and off, independent of the outside unit running. Unfortunately, I didn't notice if it started after the a.c. ran for the first time. I've attached a photo of the control board.
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 month ago.

Is the 5 amp fuse on that board good?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
it is good.
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 month ago.

OK can you check power to the unit?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
27.8VAC
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 month ago.

If you jumper the R to G terminals at the board does the fan come on?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
the blower turned on and ran for about a minute and then shut off and stayed off