Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
94766

Iam looking for a honeywell lp gas valve #vs8420e4018 or

Customer Question

Iam looking for a honeywell lp gas valve #vs8420e4018 or someone that can rebuild this one.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: two months
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: if i can
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

This valve is obsolete and unavailable. There are Robert Shaw valves that will fit in tight places but they don't have the piezo igniter. I can point you to some RobertShaw option if you like.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
can any one rebuild this one? or have a replacement for this valve?
Expert:  Rick replied 1 month ago.

There was a time when there were certified rebuild shops. The last one I knew closed 20 years ago. Nobody repairs valves any more. Not enough money in it and too much liability. I can point you to RobertShaw options that will likely fit in the same space/do the job but none have the built in piezo igniter

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
what are the robertshaw options? and how would i start pilot with out piezo igniter?
Expert:  Rick replied 1 month ago.

What does this valve go to? what is the btu input of the unit? what size is the piping connected to it. You'll probably have to light the pilot with a match or a grill lighter. I have a telescoping wand with an alligator clip on the end to reach into tough places with a match.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
empire direct vent gas fireplace lp gas,model dvs-36-2. 25,000 with a 3/8gas inlet pipe.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
thats 25,000 btu maximum
Expert:  Rick replied 1 month ago.

Is the piping straight through (in line) in & out or does it connect to the side of the valve?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
it connects to the side of valve. there are 3 lines coming from back of valve.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 month ago.

Ok, I'll get back to you wen I find something.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
the valve is about 1 3/4"-5'' long in size.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 month ago.

Ok, this is your best bet
http://www.supplyhouse.com/Robertshaw-710-108-3-8-X-3-8-Low-Profile-Combo-Gas-Valve-w-right-hand-outlet
This valve is for nat gas but can be converted to LP. I'd suggest you call them and ask for the conversion kit. There is an LP version available but not at this vendor and it's twice the money.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
theres no way that valve would work.it comes in on right but comes out on top.this valve comes in on right goes out on back of valve
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
what could i replace this empire direct vent gas fireplace with.it vents out back through wall.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 month ago.

That's not how I see it. Pic on the product page show inlet facing you and side tapping on right so you turn the valve 90 degrees so the dial is on the side instead of on top and that puts the side tapping on top.