Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
94766

I have a Burnham gas fired steam boiler, 4 years old. It is

Customer Question

Hi. I have a Burnham gas fired steam boiler, 4 years old. It is Independence Model PIN5SNI-ME-2. Starting two weeks ago it developed a sporadic won't ignite problem. This has happened 5 times in two weeks. When ignition is achieved it works great. I believe it is an electronic/electrical anomaly. My installation plumber suspected the blocked vent switch which he replaced but the problem is still there.
Do you have any ideas what may be causing this condition?
Thanks! - Domenic, Saugus, MA. Home: *****************
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 7 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

The first thing to check is the pressuretrol. It's pretty common for the piping connecting the pressuretrol to the boiler to clog with rust. So cleaning it out is always the first thing to try. Could also be a balky end switch in the motorized vent damper which has to prove the damper is open before the ignition process can proceed. Is the damper opening when it doesn't fire up?

Expert:  Rick replied 7 months ago.

Do you have more questions?