Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

My oil burner seems to struggle ignitinging. pump seems to

Customer Question

My oil burner seems to struggle ignitinging. pump seems to run about 10 seconds at which point it seems to what I will say ignites then stops then ignites and run just right. A odor of fuel oil liners for a bit. What is the problem in your opinion.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Sounds like an electrode (not gaped properly) problem or weak ignition transformer or both.

Expert:  Rick replied 1 month ago.

Do you have more questions?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Typically what is the gap supposed to be on the electrodes. I am in the process of taking them out as well as cleaning/blowing out the nozzle. I just changed the oil filter as well.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 month ago.

You don't clean the nozzle. If it's clogged (doesn't sound like it) you replace it. Every burner's electrode settings are different. I need the brand and model of your burner if you want gap specs