Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I replaced my old wall thermo stat with new Honeywell. Wires

Customer Question

I replaced my old wall thermo stat with new Honeywell. Wires touched and small spark. has only 3 wires R, W and C. Honeywell says use only R and W for this furnace only system. Connected and no response from furnace. Reinstalled old thermostat and still no response. looking for some type of reset. Furnace is Whirlpool NUGI100CK01.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. First I’ll need some more info so I have a more complete picture of you situation.

Are you sure about that model number? could it be an NUGK...?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No sir, it is NUGI100CK01 Whirlpool
Expert:  Rick replied 1 month ago.

I'm not finding that model in the database. The only resets are the rollout switch/sensors (see attached pic for typical) located just above and outside the burner chamber. If you push the small button between the 2 wires and it clicks you have reset it. If it doesn't click it wasn't tripped. One other possibility is the blower compartment panel switch. If the access panel to the blower compartment is not securely in place it won't engage the plunger type switch behind the panel and the unit won't get any power. Of course all service/emergency switches should be on. You can also check the breaker. If you replaced the thermostat without turning the power off to the furnace you could have fried the transformer.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Looking...
Expert:  Rick replied 1 month ago.

ok

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Not found as pictured or similar. The year is 1983
Expert:  Rick replied 1 month ago.

Probably explains why I can't find any specs on it. Can you give me a picture of the inside of the burner compartment? If it has a wring diagram and you can do some additional troubleshooting give me a well focused picture of that too. It's usually pasted to the inside of one of the access panels. You can post pics here by clicking on ADD FILES next to the SEND button