Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
94766

I'm trying to find out what type of wire I need for the

Customer Question

I'm trying to find out what type of wire I need for the thermostat
JA: Just to clarify, do you think this is a larger HVAC problem, or something specific to the thermostat?
Customer: I think it's both. There was a wire from the thermostat toward the boiler that was spliced to the wire from the boiler. The boiler does not start when the thermostat is turned on. If the disconnect the spliced wire and put the 2 wires from the boiler together, the boiler attempts to start but does not light
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I was planning to run new wire from the thermostat and then get some technician for the boiler
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I think that's it. The boiler is only a year or 2 old
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Standard thermostat wire for heat only is 18/2. That's 18 gauge wire with 2 conductors. But I'd run at least 18/4 which will give you the option to install a thermostat in the future that requires a connection to the C terminal to power the thermostat.