HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH
Experience:  15yrs in the HVAC industry with certificates and degrees.
21107370

Carrier won't output 24vdc, now thermostat is blank

Customer Question

carrier won't output 24vdc, now thermostat is blank
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 month ago.

Hello, one minute while I get some information together.

Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 month ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service! If you are a JA Member I would like to personally thank you and welcome you back! I am HVAC Guru an extremely experienced tech on the site and I try to get to as many customers as I can. NOTE it takes time for me to type research and add links so please wait for me to respond back I can only do this so fast. Secondly, I do not know your skill level so please try and let me know if I am going beyond your knowledge or comfort zone thanks! I strive for a 5 star rating from everyone especially our JA members.

When you use a volt meter across R and C thermostat terminals on the board do you get 24 volts?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No. I am not now getting 24VDC, and there was before, when the thermostat lit up. That's why I don't think it's the thermostat, which must be supplied 24VDC. There is no float switch in this air handler of this model, that I can find, anyway. I have replaced the transformer and the controller board. The drain pipe is dry, appears unobstructed, and has been redone about a year ago to allow more air to escape over its run.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
This is a Carrier 9200 58mxa060-12. I pulled the hose off of a pressure switch and it was dry, with no water.
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 month ago.

So the LED light on the board is on?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The red LED is on steady, no blinking. I have done nothing with the big capacitor on the outside of the blower fan.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have no 24VDC on the controller board itself, the 2nd one that's been in there. The earlier one had an LED on steady. I tried just replacing the transformer first, keeping the old controller board. Then I replaced the controller board with a newer one. Red LED on steady the whole time. There is no 24VDC, even when the thermostat wires are taken off.
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 month ago.

Do you have 24 volts out of the transformer? You may have a power issue to the unit itself.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
That would 24VAC, off the secondary, right? I didn't check. I need to go back & take it apart, and that might be a while before I can get at it. BTW, I did check the fuse. An power problem upstream would make more sense, from having the same problem with 2 boards and transformers kind of view, but then why does the board light up with the red LED at all?
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 month ago.

I think you have a main power issue to the unit check the supply voltage

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I pulled off the light switch face plate of the switch on the side of it, and found 121 VAC. It's after midnight here, so I won't be able to follow it downstream tonight. But at least I have a place to start. I well understand that I might have to call someone in. It's all just so puzzling.
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 month ago.

Double check the power on the line side of the transformer and the output side and see what you read

Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 month ago.

All I ask is please use the Star Rating Link at the top of your page before leaving, this will get you a DIRECT LINK emailed to you to get back to me!.....tips are greatly appreciated so thank you very much for using this service. If you have any other questions just post back to me here anytime!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Here's why I'm unhappy: My original problem was that I couldn't get 24VDC at the thermostat. I shouldn't have been looking for that. I just called a furnace guy in, and he found 24VAC! This was so puzzling, and my goal was bad. Anyways, that was $130 I probably shouldn't have had to spend, because I came here first, and accurately reported I didn't know what to look for. Can you understand?