Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I have a rodgers F19-0181 zone valve hooked up to a heating

Customer Question

I have a White rodgers F19-0181 zone valve hooked up to a heating system...I think the last tech wired it to the thermostat wrong. It had been disconnected and I am trying to figure out how to wire it properly...I have a black part connected to the valve that has 8 blue wires coming out of it. 4 wires to the thermostat.
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?
Customer: Well i suspect the thermostat is bad...but the valve had been disconnected from the thermostat wires and I wanted to try to hook it up to the 24 volt power to make sure it was working before I replaced the thermostat. Filters?
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes...I have gone to school for this, but it is a little out of my expertise...this is a hot water system. I was not aware there were filters. I verified power through to the zone valve. No power to the thermostat because the 4 wires to the thermostat aren't connected yet. Im trying to figure out how to connect the wiring properly.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: The valve has a manual switch that the customer has been using for a year...the gears to the valve seem to be working... the house has about 8 different zones with these valves connected to thermostats...
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. First I’ll need some more info so I have a more complete picture of you situation.

What is the model number of your zone valve? What is the brand and model number of your thermostat?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The zone valve is White Rodgers F19-0181. It is wired to a White Rodgers Thermostat Type 1F72-301...another number on the plate is 44-7575. The thermostat is very old, but I want to make sure the valve is working before I go trying to replace the thermostat. 4 thermostat wires go to the zone valve ( I verified power ) and then to the thermostat. 8 Blue wires come out of the zone valve and I suspect that the previous tech did know what was wrong so he disconnected everything and told the customer that the zone valve was bad. Hot water baseboard system.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 month ago.

An F19-0181 is a 2 wire valve operator. So I don't know how 4 wires could be attached to it.

http://www.supplyhouse.com/White-Rodgers-F19-0181-24-VAC-Power-Head-for-2-Way-13A00-Zone-Valve-w-Conduit-Hub?gclid=CI3EhJ3g-88CFYpehgodE7gHTg