airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

I have a HVAC unit manufactured and installed in 2013 that

Customer Question

I have a HVAC unit manufactured and installed in 2013 that is up on a roof.
JA: Are you an HVAC professional?
Customer: I is model 574dnwa36090napt
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes if it possible.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I will run the heat, but seems to have a mind of it's own.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 month ago.

What exactly what seems to be going on with the unit

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Good, I can finish asking my question. When I hit return, it sends the sentence before I finish. . . . . The heater comes on and runs until it gets to approx. 74 degrees and then shuts off. I can't seem to control it to turn it off . It seems to turn off when I hit "program" on the thermostat and seems to hold there. I reset all the 4 programs to 66 degrees, but the next day it went back to running on it's own.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
NO. I'm not at the unit. This is a rental on a flat roof not currently at the site.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It's only 6:00am here.

THis sounds actually sounds more like a thermostat issue than something with the furnace.Have you replaced batteries?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm not currently at the site. I'm at home. I put 2 new AA batteries in it.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I even disconnected the ground and red wire at the thermostat and it kept running.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Funny thing is that when I hit "program" it shuts off.

Yes that is why I thinking thermostat.If it were in unit you would have to turn power off and back on at unit.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
All the connections up on top were cleaned and re-connected with cleaned wires. So, it looks like it isn't the electrical connections with the thermostat.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Maybe I'll install a different thermostat ?

I suspect with the thermostat itself.May have taken a power spike.Erratic operation is usually a sign something has taken a spike. May be a rest on it.

I would start by Getting model on thermostat and Googling to locate an online manual. Follow any instructions in manual for a reset from power spike if it has one.If not or if that does not solve problem, replace thermostat.

If you have further questions, please let me know.

Thanks for letting me work with you.If my answer has been polite, professional,and thorough, please click one of the ratings before you go. If you still need help let me know!.Expert is not paid for assisting you until you rate answer.Feel free to follow up for 30 days at no additional cost. Bonus always appreciated if you feel justified.

To rate answer, please select one of the stars on the page.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I didn't see a reset. There is a small slide switch inside, but not labeled and I don't have the instructions to it. Maybe a new thermostat is a good test. This one runs the AC and Heater in the combined unit. I will do what you just suggested and look up a manual on line. Thanks and I will get back it but not right away as this is in a rental unit as I said and I'm not currently on site.

Sounds good. Let me know.