airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

Have the same fan motor issue. Can help it start but it

Customer Question

Have the same fan motor issue. Can help it start but it won't start on its own after being off for a while.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: A week. Hums then just sets. I can spin fan and it turns on fine. Also will start by itself if it has been running very recently. Only after setting for an hour or so, it won't start on its own.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Can remove motor, etc and replace if convinced that is the only issue.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 2 months ago.

Sounds like most likely a weak capacitor if this is a PSC motor.Do you have a capacitor with 2 brown wires from motor?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

OK that cap is most likely the problem, Does it look puffy at all?http://i.imgur.com/12sSxri.jpg

It can still be bad or weak even if it looks new. Below shows how to test.If you do not have a meter to check capacitance you can take it off and take it to an appliance parts store and they will test it for you.Or you can replace it for about 10 bucks and that will probably solve your problem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdFIARakavk

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Tested capacitor and no reaction so your replacement suggestion should be sufficient.
Thanks

If you have further questions, please let me know.

Thanks for letting me work with you.If my answer has been polite, professional,and thorough, please click one of the ratings before you go. If you still need help let me know!.Expert is not paid for assisting you until you rate answer.Feel free to follow up for 30 days at no additional cost. Bonus always appreciated if you feel justified.

To rate answer, please select one of the stars on the page.