Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I live in a condo and recently we, the residents, were

Customer Question

I live in a condo and recently we, the residents, were advised that we needed to have replacement of equipment in our Munchkin gas boilers. Among them was replacement of the expansion tank. I have had my routine maintenance done twice a year since I moved in ten years ago. When I questioned my plumber he said we don't replace equipment that is working. other folks have told me that they heard the same from their plumbers - "don't fix what aint broke". Please give me advice on this. After just having fall maintenance done I am being told that it will cost me nearly $600. to do these replacements [several valves included ]. Thank you. Mary
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 1 month ago.

Hello, if the system works and heats well, there is no need what so ever to replace the expansion tank. Take your plumbers advice. Regarding the cost of expansion tanks, they range from $100 to $200 each, replacement takes less than an hour. $600 is extreme and points to credibility issues with the company that quoted that price.