Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I have a old rheem oil burner furnace from the early 1960's.

Customer Question

I have a old rheem oil burner furnace from the early 1960's. I need to know what nozzle goes on the gun and what filter I need for the pump. It is a abc model p-7j burner. Can you help me?
JA: Did you check the furnace's filters?
Customer: Can you answer my question
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes but can't find any info about the abc oil burner. I want to get the right replacement parts
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 7 months ago.

Hello, if there is a nozzle already in place it will be stamped with a brand and model number, with that information I can search the most popular nozzle vendors for replacement.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I am not sure that the nozzle I took out is the right nozzle for the furnace. It was pretty black and had smell or oil was strong so I would like to put the correct one in it
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
furnace is rheem 2452 series 105,000 btu horizontal
Expert:  Phil replied 7 months ago.

Hello, that furnace at over 50 years old is not in any online data bases.

The absolutely correct nozzle will get black and sooty if the fire box has not been cleaned of carbon deposits.... your best bet by a huge margin is simply to clean the fire box of carbon deposits and replace the existing nozzle.

The odds the fire box is at least 50% clogged with carbon deposits on a 50 year old furnace is virtually 100%.

First step will be to examine that first, then clean it... you can buy hard carbon deposit solvent at truck parts supply stores....and the diesel engine service shops.

Expert:  Phil replied 7 months ago.

A clogged fire box reduces air flow, so that fuel burns too rich, leaving carbon deposits.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
what about the pump filter how can I get the right one
Expert:  Phil replied 7 months ago.

last caretakers of ABC/Sunray and Oertli parts, this is from 2004, they might still be in business, give them a call, you might get lucky.

Enerjet Corp.*****
Bay Shore, NY 11706(###) ###-#### fax:(###) ###-####/p>

They may be gone since they were charged by the FTC for mislabeling equipment three years ago and lost. If they're gone, so is the largest cache of these parts,