Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

Weil-mclain HE-3 boiler will not "fire up". Boiler goes

Customer Question

Weil-mclain HE-3 boiler will not "fire up". Boiler goes through start cycle, igniter lites up, fan starts, but the boiler does not ignite gas. Control error light flashes a "3" blinds, believe that indicates ignition time out. what to do?
JA: How old is the appliance? Have you gotten error messages before?
Customer: Not sure of age, yes, received error message before, was advised at the time gas was not sufficient in supply pipe.. Not sure if I believe that
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: if it is not to complicated, I will do the work. Part replacement?
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Boiler has fired up this season but it does not seem it is consistent on the starting
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 7 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. First I’ll need some more info so I have a more complete picture of you situation.

Does you unit have a pilot with electronic ignition or HSI (hot surface igniter)?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hot surface igniter which does work, can see the glow
Expert:  Rick replied 7 months ago.

Do you have 24 volts to the gas control valve when the HSI is glowing?

Expert:  Rick replied 7 months ago.

I need to know if you have 24 volts to the gas control valve to diagnose this problem. If you don't have a meter to test voltage then there are a couple possible culprits, one is a bad gas valve or a bad electrical connection between the ignition control and the gas valve. You could also have a bad ignition control. Both gas valve and control are over $100 each. You could replace these parts other wise you need to call in a pro to diagnose this.