Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

Every time I change my Honeywell heat pump thermostat from

Customer Question

Every time I change my Honeywell heat pump thermostat from Heat to Cool or conversely, it fails to make the switch and the fan just runs continuously trying to attain the 'hold' temperature but without the heat pump, aux heat, or ac running.Is there something I need to do besides change the mode from heat to cool or cool to heat? I deleted the schedule for all days and times and put the thermostat on 'permanent hold,' thinking that it would abide by the temp that I set, but it seems to have a mind of its own.
Category: HVAC
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Turning the main switch for the system off at the furnace for about 20-30 minutes, then turning it back on seems to work, but surely I shouldn't have to do that every time I change modes. The fall weather is bring very cool temperatures at night (enough so that heat is needed), then warmer temperatures during the day (so much so that ac is needed), I'm switching twice a day sometimes, but it takes me an hour or so to realize that a cold house is getting colder or a warm house is getting warmer.
Expert:  airheatman replied 5 months ago.

Have you tried replacing batteries? And what is model on thermostat?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I changed the batteries... No help. I'm not sure of the thermostat model number. Where would I find it? The thermostat says, "System: Hold," which the instructions say it is waiting on the compressor to stabilize... Wait 5 minutes. I've waited 5 hours and it still says the same thing.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I can get it to work with the app on my cell phone.

Model should be inside front cover.Try removing batteries and pulling from off of subbase foe 3 minutes then re install and see if it will reset.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It's running now... Let me turn it off and get the model number and see if pulling it off the subbase will reset it.

Standing by

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Model # is TH8320R1003
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
There is also a network module that connects to my router for access via cell phone.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I just noticed that it has a CR2032 flat battery as well as the four 'AA' cells. But the thermostat is fairly new, so the CR2032 should still be okay.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Shouldn't it?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Isn't this what holds its memory while it's powered down?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Just put it back together. Says "System:Wait"
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Are you there?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'll check back in a few minutes. If you're busy, maybe I can find another tech who can help me. Let me know.

Sorry got called away.I will open so other techs available may help from here so you don't have to wait.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you. You have an excellent feedback reputation, but if you're busy, I'll wait for the next available technician.